Join us May 27th for our fourth FREE Community Conversation at Art Omi, in Ghent NY. Instar Lodge's Community Conversation series activates public landscapes and institutions in the Hudson Valley with shared walking-dialogue around relevant topics. It takes the expert off the stage and brings community in stride together as equal learners, it is a Socratic School. No pre-knowledge of a subject is needed to participate, only an ample amount of curiosity and kindness.
This conversations is inspired by our May reading list. This month dives into topics of feminism, identity, gender and nature. While the readings and prompts are directed towards the history and evolution of women, the Community Conversation welcomes and encourages all people to join and all perspectives on the topics to be shared. The prompts are:
Women have challenged the dominant, male-controlled ideologies, often framing their critique with reference to values arising from the female experience. Mother Ann Lee, founder of the Shakers preached that both men and women were made in God's form, therefor possessing hermaphrodite spirits. Elizabeth Cady Stanton was so appalled by the bible's degradation of women that she re-wrote it, wishing to promote a radical liberating theology that stressed self-development.
- What is the current female experience as new women in the 21st century?
- As gender constructions loosen what new nature will emerge?
- What is the role of the natural world to women's nature, present and past?
- What nature myths have women both blossomed from and been burdened by?
- Does the concept of Mother Earth resonate?
- How can we help heal the earth and our bodies from the toxicity of patriarchy?
Please kindly RSVP so we can gauge how many of you are coming! The more the merrier! We will meet the day of at the Omi Cafe, and begin our walk from there.